Sunday, September 18, 2011

Venus in Libra - Grace Under Fire

Venus just moved into Libra, one of her own signs (Taurus is the other), on September 14. In Libra, Venus is social, diplomatic and relationship-oriented (even if that relationship is with her image in the mirror). Beauty is harmony to Venus Libra, and harmony, beauty. It can manifest as a desire to bring people together, or bring aesthetic to a higher octave. 
Currently there are some stresses being exerted on Venus from two outer planets (outer planets represent collective urges/movements). Uranus in Aries opposes her and Pluto in Capricorn makes a challenging square. 
In Aries, Uranus is anything but harmonious. It's individualistic, rebellious, loud, revolutionary, impatient and explosive. (Expect to see more focus on head injuries and mental illness while Uranus transits Aries). It can be expressed as the Promethean hero who brings fire to humankind, the 'Wild One' who brings danger and excitement to town (Brando was an Aries, btw), or simply as a flash of genius - an 'aha' moment. 




Venus in Libra prefers not to have her boat rocked, unless you are a hunky captain and surprise her by asking her to christen the ship you just named 'Venus.' Right now she wishes to maintain equilibrium. Opposites do attract, however, and often find they have something in common. Oddball Venus spins on her axis in a contrary direction to the other planets and oddball Uranus is so tilted on it's axis, it's almost rolling on it's side. Hmmm. 
Pluto in Capricorn represents the ruling class, institutions and long-held belief systems we have lorded for so long, undergoing deep transformation (and not willingly so).  Venus in Libra goes by 'natural' law, but trying to feng shui the system can be frustrating, if not impossible. Uranus (the rebel) will also be squaring Pluto (the authority figure) for a long while, so Venus may change tactics and climb on the back of his chopper when she moves into Scorpio October 8, or indeed Sagittarius after that.
                      


I was looking for a story or myth that would illustrate the current planetary drama and today I heard it on the radio, on a show about the power of music. Jack Tueller, now 91, had been a fighter pilot in WW2. In this transcript, he tells of a profound experience he had, during the war:


There were twelve of us and [we went] down on these tanks, and at a thousand feet, I'm looking through the gunsight - I could see a french mother and her three children being held up on top of the tanks as human shields, by the enemy. We reported what we'd seen and we were ordered back with the statement, "those french civilians are expendable."

I was all stressed out that night when I landed at the unfinished airstrip and when we landed, I got rid of my stresses with my trumpet and my commander says "don't play tonight, there's one German sniper left and he has a sound aimer"  - that means he aims by the sound, because he can't see at night. I was gonna play anyway, cause that's the way I got rid of my stresses.
Everyone else got drunk and I didn't drink, I got rid of my stresses with music. I wondered how can I keep him from firing, cause I didn't want to get shot, obviously. So I played his love song, 'Lili Marleen.' I picked 'Lili Marleen' because that was the love song of the German Empire. And 'Lili Marleen' - I wailed that over the apple orchards… and he didn't fire.

The next morning, a jeep came up from the beach and the military police says, "Captain, there's some German prisoners down on the beach getting ready to go to England, and one of them keeps saying, in broken English, 'who played that trumpet last night ?' "
Well I grabbed my trumpet and went down in the jeep, to the beach, two miles away…and that German sniper was 19 years old, dressed like a French peasant, to cloak his role as a sniper. And he was crying so hard, but he said, "I couldn't fire last night, because that love song that you played reminded me of my fiance in Germany, my mother and dad, and my brothers and sisters. " 
And he stuck his hand out, and I shook the hand of the enemy…and he was not an enemy, he was just a scared kid. And the power of music came over me, as it came over him. The old saying the 'music soothes the savage beast' is true.


Venus' lesson is this:  All the daunting world events going on that we cannot control but that we focus our energy on, are not really what's important. What's important are our inter-personal relationships, the exchanges and connections we experience through one another.  



Listen to the rest of  Jack's story here (in parts one and two):    
http://www.cbc.ca/dnto/promote/2011/09/12/what-is-the-real-power-of-music/                                                                      


Goddess Hanna Schygulla sings the haunting love song, 'Lili Marleen,' in a powerful scene from Rainer Werner Fassbinder's film of the same name:






CORRECTION : I had previously written that the stress of Uranus and Pluto on Venus would be in effect until November - I was having a senior moment. It's only until about Sept. 23rd ! 







4 comments:

  1. Some songs are transcendental (I'm sniffling as I type this) and I never realized just what a singer Hanna Schygulla is. Also, FWIW, Gosling's new flick Drive may be a perfect representation of your interpretation of Venus in Libra. Ryan is a cool dude and in love with a Venus. He saves her from worse-than-death the only way possible, by acts of barbarism, a Promethean anti-hero. The back story is change to underground institutions, change resisted by dark side'authority figures' who believe they understand fate and natural laws. The Albert Brooks character is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heart-rending blog - especially today. During the Second World War, my father, who was too old to join up (I thank Venus for that), would play the well-worn 78 rpm of Lili Marleen over and over. Of course he kept the beer flowing with his tears, and the song, sung by Marlene Dietrich, brought me an insight into my precious father's soul as nothing else could. The left brain hasn't the words to explain it...and again, I thank Venus for that and her insistence on Love and Mystery.

    Thank you for such a touching story, because the healing power of music is universal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awfully good description of yesterday...

    ReplyDelete